Our state of the art Gantt chart

Post by danielhtpg »

Hello,

we would like to see an improvment in the baseline feature. Right now it's decent but feels unfinished. For example, when you have not set a baseline yet and set baseline 3, baseline 1 & baseline 2 get's populated the same as baseline 3. Now the user only wanted to set baseline 3 and not automatically prefill the previous baseline numbers.

Looking into the source code, this stems from the BaselineModel not actually having it's own baseline index/baseline number field. Rather than having a baseline number attached to the model, the baselines feature uses the index of the baseline data in the task baselines store. This makes sense since there is no index at the model.

With a baseline number field on the BaselineModel, it would than be possible to only set a specific baseline number for a project without having to generate the previous baselines.

Right now we could achive this behaviour by overriding gantt logic but we would rather refrain from doing so and only use that for bugfixing.

Post by alex.l »

Hi danielhtpg,

Baseline is a version, that's why it works that way. If you set version 3, then version 1 and version 2 should be also persist. By default we just copy latest version to all previous, if not exists.

All the best,
Alex

Post by danielhtpg »

Hi Alex,

I see. Coming from Microsoft Project it just work differently. There you can assign multiple baselines indipendant from what you call previous versions. Setting baseline 5 just sets baseline 5. Alot of our customers who work with the gantt are project manager who are used to working with Microsoft Project where it follows this behaviour. The conflicting behaviour in the initial setting of baselines is confusing to them.

I also don't see much benefit of this "version" behaviour when initially assigning a higher baseline than 1. Once I set three baselines for example, setting baseline 3 only sets baseline 3 as one would expect. The baselines themselfs don't have any dependency with eachother.

Post by arcady »

That's definitely worth a ticket. Here is a feature request I made for the subject: https://github.com/bryntum/support/issues/5319
Thank you for the feedback!

Post by danielhtpg »

Thank you for opening a ticket for this :)