Our state of the art Gantt chart

Post by awendt »

I've attached a video of this behavior but I'll also explain it. In the video I used the advanced example which I'm pretty sure has a calendar that restricts tasks from starting/ending on weekends. I have two tasks, one that ends on a Friday (task 1) and one that starts on a Monday (task 2). When I draw a dependency from task 1 to task 2 it works as I would expect it to. When I draw a dependency from task 2 to task 1 task 1's end date changes to a Sunday, because of the calendar I would expect task 1's end date to remain unchanged, the way it does when I drew the first dependency.

More concise replication steps:

1. Have a calendar that sets weekends to non-working
  2. Add task 1, set end date to Friday
  3. Add task 2, set start date to Monday
  4. Draw dependency from task 2 to task 1

expected behavior: the dates don't change
actual behavior: task 1's end date changes to Sunday

Attachments
drawing dependencies bug.mov
(5.64 MiB) Downloaded 48 times

Post by alex.l »

Hi awendt,

Actually it doesn't end on weekend, it ends on Monday morning, because your dependency says "finish top task not earlier (or later) than starts bottom task", so the end moved on Monday to make constraint correct.

All the best,
Alex

Post by awendt »

Ok, could you explain why when I draw the dependency from task 1 to task 2 (instead of the other way around) the dependency doesn't span the weekend?

Post by awendt »

This behavior is also confusing to me because I can't drag a lone task to end on "Monday morning" because of the weekend constraint so it feels weird that with a dependency it automatically does that. For example in the following screen shot if I drag New task 7's end date to look like New task 5 it automatically snaps back.

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 9.14.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 9.14.29 AM.png (115.88 KiB) Viewed 326 times

Post by arcady »

Start-to-finish dependency forces the successor to finish not earlier than the predecessor starts.

The predecessor starts 2019-01-21 00:00 so the successor finishes at that time. It cannot finish earlier otherwise the dependency would be violated.

Yes when calculating start/end dates the Gantt takes non-working time into account. It skips non-working time (for start date in forward direction and for end date - backwards).
But it does that only in ranges allowed by the task restrictions (constraints/dependencies)