Our state of the art Gantt chart

Post by awendt »

I'm curious if the current behavior as seen in the example on your website is intended.
When I apply a sort to the gantt chart and then add a task below another task while the sort is applied it updates the WBS numbers for all of the tasks on the same level.

I added some screenshots for clarity.

In the first screenshot I have sorted the tasks by name, you can see that 'Celebrate Launch' is at the top of its list but its WBS number is still 1.4.3.6. The second screenshot is after I've added a task below 'Celebrate Launch' you can see that the subtasks appear not to have moved but their WBS numbers are all updated to be in order (i.e. 1.4.3.1 - 1.4.3.7) which would mean that if I removed the name sort the subtasks would not reorder to how they were before. Celebrate Launch will stay at the top of that list of subtasks. Is this intended behavior? It seems weird to me but at the same time I'm not sure what I expected the behavior to be.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.56.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.56.43 PM.png (195.9 KiB) Viewed 647 times
Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.56.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.56.02 PM.png (195.92 KiB) Viewed 647 times

Post by dongryphon »

Normally WBS values are assigned on store load and are not modified unless the context menu for the WBS column is used to regenerate them. This is consistent with viewing the WBS value as a record identifier - it should be stable and updated only by the user.

In the next release (due very soon) there is a "wbsMode: 'auto'" config on the TaskStore that will allow the column to reflect the other way of viewing WBS which is more like a row number. Moving rows around or sorting will be reflected in the WBS value.

Post by dongryphon »

It looks like the fix for the sorting issue when "wbsMode: 'auto'" is enabled did not make the last release (4.3.2). I've opened an issue to correct it - https://github.com/bryntum/support/issues/3639

Post by awendt »

So just to clarify, what I was seeing above was a bug? In that the WBS numbers for all of those subtasks shouldn't have changed?

Post by dongryphon »

It is only a bug with the new "wbsMode: 'auto'", added in 4.3.2

Prior to the "wbsMode: 'auto'" this was behaving as designed. This is because the WBS value is only calculated for a record when it is added to the store (typically at load time). Subsequent updates have to be initiated by user choice from the column menu or by calling the provided API.

This mode is not enabled on any demos at the moment, so they will behave as you described even when this fix is merged.

Post by awendt »

Sounds good. Thank you!