Premium support for our pure JavaScript UI components

Post by xbtc »

Hello,

we noticed that using "Add task above" and "Add task below" from the context menu of the GANT chart behaves inconsistent / buggy. Instead of just adding a new task (as implied by the name) it copies some properties but not all of the currently selected row.

This can be reproduced for example by using the official demo here and then right clicking a row and clicking Add->Task above as shown in the following screenshot.

GANTT_ADD_TASK.png
GANTT_ADD_TASK.png (265.75 KiB) Viewed 923 times

There are several issues here:

1) If you right-click a task with a duration of 3 days for example and then perform "Add Task above" the resulting new task also will have 3 days. If you right-click a task with duration of 2 days the resulting new task also will have a duration of 2 days.

2) If you right-click a milestone and then click "Add task above" a new milestone is created above instead of a new task

=> It seems the "add task above/below" action does not really create a fresh new task but it copies some properties (but not all) of the currently selected row.

Is this a known bug? When can we expect a fix for it?
This is critical for us as in our custom implementation with additional custom columns some of them are copied and others not on adding a new task...

Many thanks in advance,
Marcel

Post by alex.l »

Hi Marcel,

This is expected behaviour. When you clicked on task, it copied duration and parent and added a task above/below of the target. Parent is copied to save a correct position of a new task, that's not a "copy task" . Milestone is just a task with 0 duration.

What do you expect to see when you clicked "Add task above"? What do you mean "fresh task"? Some task with default (let's say 1 day) duration?

All the best,
Alex

Post by xbtc »

Hi Alex,
thanks for clarifying. I would have expected a new task with duration of 1 day or the duration of the parent.

However our main issue is that in our implementation we added additional fields to the model and some of them are also copied on add task above/below. That's why i suspected a bug and thought i can show it via the example above. I will try to create a stripped down version of our implementation to isolate/show it.

Post by alex.l »

We discussed this with the team and we found your request reasonable. I've created a feature request to use some default duration for new created task, here is a link: https://github.com/bryntum/support/issues/4004

All the best,
Alex

Post by xbtc »

Cool - that's really great to hear! Thank you very much!

Post by xbtc »

Unfortunately I have to re-open this topic. On testing this in more detail we realized that "add task above/below" in fact copies much more info from the currently selected task than just the duration. For example the fields available in the advanced properties (i.e. manually scheduled, effort driven, etc.) of a task (shown in the following image) are also copied.

GANTT.png
GANTT.png (232.85 KiB) Viewed 818 times

Post by alex.l »

Basically, it was implemented to copy all parameters that won't create potential conflicts with existing data from the original event/task. We will overthink this behaviour, thank you for pointing on it.

All the best,
Alex

Post by xbtc »

Thanks. As we use the GANTT component in production already and the copying of fields on "Add task above/below" is reported as high priority bug by our customers it would be great to know the rough timeline for this.
When do you expect to make a decision and in case the behavior is changed when will this be implemented? Are we talking about days, weeks, months?

Many thanks in advance,
Marcel

Post by alex.l »

Got it, we will try to fix it asap, to have it with the nearest patch release.

All the best,
Alex

Post by xbtc »

Great to hear - Thank you very much