Our blazing fast Grid component built with pure JavaScript

Post by gregc »

I always shudder with fear as I code timezone related functionality. Its just painful.

The current functionality of supplying the grid with UTC dates and letting it display and edit in local time is very nice and will do for now.

In the future what would be nice would be to have a grid level setting which specifies the timezone. It becomes useful when coordinating people across timezones for events that for example are all occurring around midnight. Having some people looking at 11pm, some at 10pm isn't great, though it does "function properly". Of course I can code it to work but I just don't want to :-)

The other feature that would be nice is having a Time Column separate but related to a Date Column i.e. sharing the same date/time field such that editing either sends back the same UTC date/time. I have created this functionality, but it is painful, especially when editing times with different daylight savings.

Last edited by gregc on Sun May 09, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by mats »

We have this ticket open for the scheduler to handle different timezones, but it's more of a long term feature request. https://github.com/bryntum/support/issues/1533

As part of this ticket, most likely the core Date / Time related components will also get some support for this.