Get help with testing, discuss unit testing strategies etc.

Post by Damo »

I would like to use Siesta for TDD when creating ExtJs components.

My main issue with this is it is incredibly slow to run a single test from the the terminal. The test itself is fast 200ms confirmed by using showTestDurationColumn property (requiring loads of files and running the test) however the setup of going to the page in chrome headless takes about 3-4 seconds (appreciate it will vary per machine but still).

I'm using a index.html using the no-ui version of Siesta and the test itself isn't rendering any DOM.

What options are available to me to reduce this delay, can a long running process be just asked to now run x test and so on?

Just to be clear this is a need I have for unit testing, not for functional/ui testing the application, I'm totally onboard with all the help Siesta provides around this but it seems it may be overkill for unit testing...?
UX Developer ~ @damianpoole ~ [url=mailto://dpoole@financialforce.com]dpoole@financialforce.com[/url]

FinancialForce.com

Post by nickolay »

Well, the main Siesta workflow is currently within browser window, not terminal. If you have harness page opened, you just double click the test file (or press CTRL+E) and test you are working on will be re-run.

But sometimes its more convenient to run the tests in the terminal. Here the puppeteer launcher should have better startup time than generic webdriver. We also plan to refresh the NodeJS support in the upcoming Siesta 5 release. In NodeJS launcher startup time will be the fastest, but there will be no browser environment.

Post by Damo »

In NodeJS launcher startup time will be the fastest, but there will be no browser environment.
I think that's pretty much what I'm after providing "fastest" is in the low 100's of ms.

Thanks Nickolay
UX Developer ~ @damianpoole ~ [url=mailto://dpoole@financialforce.com]dpoole@financialforce.com[/url]

FinancialForce.com